Crediton Church Corporation is today celebrating a £12,000.00 funding boost from SUEZ Communities Trust (formerly SITA Trust) for the Protection of Historic Stained-Glass Windows. Crediton Parish Church is Grade 1 listed, built on a massive scale for a Devon parish church and has been owned since 1547 by twelve Governors (Crediton Church Corporation) when the townspeople bought the church back from King Henry V111 for the sum of £200.
This most welcome funding will allow in the coming months installation of replacement protective stainless steel and powder coated mesh to historic stained-glass windows. While the windows do not contain rare medieval-glass they are still excellent examples of stained glass from the Victorian period through to 1926 and considered by many visitors to the church to be one of the true glories of the building. Of particular note are a World War 1 memorial window, an Arts and Crafts window designed by Hugh Arnold, an armorial window depicting the coats of arms of a number of well know local families and a memorial window in the Lay Chapel to Richard John King, a Victorian scholar who lived in Crediton until his death in 1879.
Spokesman from Crediton Parish Church Bill Jerman said “We are thrilled to have been offered this funding by SUEZ Communities Trust (formerly SITA Trust). It will mean in a relatively few short months all the ground level stained glass here at Crediton Parish Church will have replacement protective stainless steel and powder coated mesh. In the last ten years with funding provided by the Friends of Crediton Church we have managed to replace some of the old rusting galvanised protective iron mesh but this would have probably taken at least another thirty years to work our way round all the stained glass windows.”
Marek Gordon, Chairman of SUEZ Communities Trust added “SUEZ Communities Trust provides funding awards through the Landfill Communities Fund. This important source of funding has been available since 1997 and has provided such worthy projects with more than £1.4 billion. We were delighted to be able to offer funding to Crediton Church Corporation.”