International Mothers Union
This international organization was founded in 1876 by Mary Sumner in the village of Old Alresford in Hampshire, where her husband George Sumner was Rector, to help and support local mothers and families. Crediton Mothers’ Union exists to extend this mission to Crediton in the 21st Century. Since 1876, the organization has spread worldwide, with branches in Canada in the United States, and throughout Europe, Asia and Africa, to Australia and New Zealand. There are now more than 15,000 branches throughout the world; three quarters of them are based outside the British Isles.
Purpose & Prayer
The purpose of the Mothers’ Union is to be especially concerned with all that strengthens and preserves marriage and Christian family life. Its objectives are:
- To uphold Christ’s teaching on the nature of marriage and to promote its wider understanding.
2. To encourage parents to bring up their children in the faith and life of the church.
3. To maintain a worldwide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service.
4. To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children.
5. To help those whose family life has met with adversity.
The Mothers’ Union prayer is said at all meetings, everywhere:
Loving Lord, we thank you for your love so freely given for us all. We pray for families around the world. Bless the work of the Mothers’ Union as we seek to share your love through the encouragement, strengthening and support of marriage and family life. Empowered by your spirit, may we be united in prayer and worship, and in love and service reach out as your hands across the world. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
For further information please contact Anne Jerman, Branch Leader on 01363 772865.