We take our responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all those with whom the church comes into contact very seriously. To ensure this we:
1. Have safeguarding policies for Adults at Risk and Children and Young People. The choir also has an additional policy to ensure the well-being of its junior choristers. All the policies are reviewed annually.
2. Safeguarding is an agenda item at every PCC meeting and a sub-group meets regularly to discuss, monitor and evaluate the use of the policies and procedures. All churchwardens and other PCC members are DBS checked and all PCC members have undertaken safeguarding training.
3. We have job descriptions for all roles in the church, whether staff or volunteers, and everyone is made aware of safeguarding policies. All those working with adults at risk or children and young people complete a volunteer agreement form and we insist on the relevant training, DBS checks and references.
4. Records are kept of all those who have applied for Disclosure and Barring Scheme clearance and this is renewed every 5 years in line with Diocesan policy.
5. Anyone in a leadership role or working with Adults at Risk or Children & Young people is expected to undertake Safeguarding Awareness training, at the appropriate level. Records are kept and refresher training is undertaken every 3 years.
6. The names of the safeguarding officers in the church are displayed in the church porch, along with the safeguarding policies.
If you have any concerns the following agencies may be contacted:
Concerns about Children – Devon MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) – 0345 155 1071
Concerns about Adults – Devon – Care Direct – 0345 155 1007
Domestic Abuse – Devon helpline for professionals and individuals – 0345 155 1074
Rape Crisis – Devon – 0808 802 9999